Battery Handling Tips
Proper handling is the most important factor in ensuring long battery service life. You will find many useful suggestions and tips here:
- Protect your battery against moisture, humidity, heat, fire and direct sunlight.
- Use the battery only at temperatures within a range of -10 °C to +50 °C.
- Safeguard your battery against unapproved use (e.g., by children).
- To prevent accidental starting of the motor, the battery should be removed from the machine after use.
- Use only STIHL chargers to charge your STIHL battery and unplug the power cord afterwards.
- Store your battery in a closed, dry space in a secure location.
- For optimum service life and low self discharge, store your battery at temperatures from + 10°C to + 20°C. Ideally, you should store the battery in your basement. There it is generally neither too warm nor too cold.
- If you store your battery for a long period, e.g., during the winter, it should be stored with an approx. 30% charge. Charge your battery again just before you use your machine for the first time.
- If you have a backup battery, you should not store it unused, but instead alternate its use with your other battery.
- Do not open batteries and never use a defective or deformed battery. Defective batteries must be replaced. Please contact your STIHL servicing dealer.
The right way to charge STIHL batteries – how it works
Charging to a level of 80% is optimal for normal operation. In the AP 80 battery, this charge state is reached after just 25 minutes with the AL 300 quick charger; with the AL 100 standard charger, it takes 70 minutes.
Once the optimum charge state has been reached, the charger automatically continues to charge the battery with a very low charging current that prolongs battery life until 100% of capacity is reached. Make certain that you operate your charger at temperatures between +5°C and +40°C.
If your battery is too warm, the charging process will only begin once the battery has cooled down. The AL 300 quick charger accelerates cooling with the help of an integrated cooling air system - you don't have to worry about a thing!